Four Ways to Connect With God
1) Experiencing God’s Presence (A method by Thom Gardner)
a) Go to a quiet place & still your thoughts & emotions
(Be still & know that I am God Psa. 46:10)
b) Meditate on a verse of scripture, saying it softly over & over to yourself until
you can say it (or a portion of it) with your eyes closed. As you repeat the
scripture allow yourself to see it with the eyes of your heart.
What is the picture you see in your mind’s eye as you repeat the
What does the scripture reveal about the heart of God?
What is the Lord speaking to you personally as you see the truth of this
scripture? (Put your self in the picture of this scripture in your mind.)
c) Take time to pray, saying to God what you have seen and heard from Him
Scriptures to use with the Experiencing God’s Presence method.
FEAR – I am not alone:
Isa. 41:10, Matt. 28:20, Isa. 66:13, Psa. 121:8, Phil. 4:13, Deut. 33:27, Prov. 3:5-6, Gen. 28:15, Jer: 1:8, Isa. 44:8, Deut. 31:6, Josh. 1:9. Psa. 46:7, II Chron. 32:7, Isa. 43:1-2
REJECTION – I am accepted by my Father:
Deut. 26:18, Rom. 8:16-17a, Isa. 43:1, Jn. 15:15, Rom. 8:31, Isa. 49:15-16, Rom. 8:35-39, II Thess. 2:13, Isa. 45:24-25, Jer. 23:6, Rom. 3:23-24, Rom. 14:17-18, Eph. 1:5-6
WORTHLESSNESS – The Father approves of me:
Psa. 139:14, Jer. 31:3, Deut. 32:10, Isa. 43:4, Isa. 54:10, Zeph. 3:17, Gen. 1:27, Psa. 100:3, Psa. 119:73, Psa. 139:13-14, Isa. 43:21, I Cor. 15:10, II Cor. 5:17, Eph. 2:10, Col. 3:9-10
SHAME – I am covered with Christ: II Cor. 12:9, Isa. 61:10, Isa. 43:25, Psa. 139:7, Rom. 8:1-2, Heb. 2:11, Col. 1:22, Psa. 32:1, Gal. 3:27, Isa. 61:10a, Rom. 13:14
INSECURITY – I am safe in the arms of my Father:
Psa. 125:2, Isa. 40:11, Psa. 91:4, Psa. 27:5, Isa. 43:2, Heb. 13:6, Psa. 31:14-15, Deut. 33:27a, Psa. 3:1-3, Psa. 32:10, Psa. 34:7, Psa. 121:5-8, Psa. 125:1-2, Jn. 10:27-29
DEFILEMENT – The Father has cleansed and restored me:
I Pet. 4:10-11, Isa. 63:9, Jer. 30:17a, Lam. 3:22-23, Eze. 16:9, Col. 3:12, Psa. 80:3, Jer. 30:17, Eze. 16:8, Amos 9:14, Nahum 2:2
HOPELESSNESS – The Truth about Hope: Jer. 29:11, Isa. 43:19, Isa. 58:11, Isa. 50:10, Psa. 18:28, Psa. 30:5, Phil. 4:13, Psa. 130:7, Rom. 8:24-25, I Pet. 1:3-5, I Pet. 1:13, I Jn. 3:3
2) Prayerful Reading of the Scriptures (sometimes known as Lectio Divina)
• Silence – Take several deep breaths and allow the silence to quiet your inside
• Read the Word – Read a brief portion of Scripture, listening for a key phrase or
• Meditate – Reflect on what you’ve read. (Allow the Word to sink in from your
head to your heart)
• Contemplate – In silence listen (instead of talking to God or thinking your
thoughts) and allow God to speak to you. (God is constantly speaking but we
seldom hear Him [I Kings 19:11-12]
• Action – How is God speaking to you through this scripture? (pray this back to
Him, committing yourself to applying it)
3) Sitting in God’s Presence …Centering prayer (A method from a book by
Simply shut your eyes and enjoy the presence of the Lord.
Look at him (focus on him) as he gazes back at you with his full loving
attention and asks you to sit with him for awhile.
Gently return your attention to him by saying his name whenever you find
your mind drifting to other things.
4) Daily Examen
Take ten minutes at the end of the day to prayerfully review your day. (When did God seem present or the closest to you? When did he seem absent?)
Things that can disturb Restoring BALANCE:
the BALANCE in our lives:
* Being too busy/rushing. Re-evaluate time commitments & priorities
* Holding grudges prevents the flow of creative, healing energy. Forgive others
* Anxiety, fear. Take time to sit in God’s presence
* Not enough sleep. Use music as a therapeutic tool
* Not taking care of yourself. (physically, emotionally & spiritually) Make one goal for each area
* Unresolved hurt Intimacy with God – Healing in His presence
* Accumulated grief . Grieve your losses
* Negative attitudes. Practice gratitude
* Lack of peace. Pray the Serenity Prayer, Sit in His presence
* Wanting your own way. Surrender your will & control to God
* Perfectionism. Take time to have fun and play, Letting go
* Negative image of yourself. Find out the truth about what God thinks of you
* Ideas that Encourage Peacefulness
Serenity Prayer: God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.
* Journaling is good therapy.
* Exercise facilitates the elimination of wastes
*Spend 5-10 minutes meditating on a Bible verse.
* Go for a walk.
* Take time to listen; to God and others. Talking is the activity of the mouth; listening is the activity of the heart.
* Practice awareness of God in times of blessing, so that God’s presence is familiar in times of trouble.
Let your God-given Emotions Help
* Each time you find yourself irritated or angry with someone, the one to look at is not that person, but yourself. Instead of asking, “What’s wrong with this person?” ask, What does this irritation tell me about myself? What’s going on inside of me that this emotion is trying to tell me?